So far WhatsApp is a quite secure order application. Even so some of the following security tips you should know.
Check Conversion Encryption
By default, all WhatsApp conversations are encrypted end-to-end. But when sharing sensitive information such as credit card details or bank account details, you should double check encryption.
To ensure that the chat is fully encrypted;
- Open a chat window with your contacts
- Tap the contact’s name
- Tap on Encryption
- You will see a different set of numbers together with the QR Code.
- We can ask contacts to scan the QR Code. Or you can scan a contact’s QR code.
Turn on Security Notifications
Every time you start a new chat you will be given a security code for both devices. By default, the security notification is turned off but you can activate it so WhatsApp will notify you every time the security code changes.
To enable security notifications;
- Open WhatsApp> Settings> Account> Security> Show security notification
- Change the slider to active
Enable Two-Factor Authentication
WhatsApp also has a Two-Factor Authentication feature which is also a useful step to secure your account.
After you enable Two-Factor Authentication, a verification code will be needed when you will try to set up WhatsApp on a new device.
To enable Two-Factor Authentication for your number;
- Open WhatsApp> Settings> Account> Two-Factor Authentication> Activate
- Enter the 6 digit passcode sent by WhatsApp
- Enter your recovery email if you forget the passcode
Use the Official WhatsApp Application for PC
If you want to use WhatsApp on PC Desktop, it is strongly recommended to use the official application instead of WhatsApp Web.
According to security companies, WhatsApp Web is considered to have a security threat. Therefore it is recommended that users use the Desktop version application and not WhatsApp Web.
Always Log Out from WhatsApp Web
WhatsApp Web is a platform that allows you to use services on a PC without external applications or anything. If you are a regular WhatsApp Web user then after you use it it is recommended to log out so that no one can access private conversations.
So whether it’s a home PC or a public PC, after using it, you have to log out of WhatsApp Web so that private conversations are safe.